From Sheila Wolfson, Interplast coordinator:
The majority of our burn patients have been women, most likely explained by the fact that they do all the cooking over the open fires. When Lakmi was 12 years old, she was eating next to a kerosene oil stove when her “dupatta” (stole) caught on fire. She tried to put out the fire with her hand and was severely burned on the side of her body. The only treatment she received was an ointment, so eventually her skin contracted and she lost most of the movement in her elbow. After the doctors release her burn contractures and perform a skin graft, she should have increased movement in her arm.