Cao Lanh, Vietnam-Sheila Wolfson, Interplast volunteer trip support.
One of the more heart wrenching stories we heard involved Khanh, a burn patient who was accompanied to the hospital by his beautiful, yet very sad 12-year-old daughter. Seven years ago, when his daughter was five, he was pouring gasoline from a larger container into a smaller one when an electrical spark set it on flames. His entire body was burned. He quickly dove into a nearby river and was followed into the river by a neighbor who tried to help him. He was then taken to the hospital and remained there for 25 days. After his tragic accident, his wife deserted them, leaving Khanh to raise his only daughter alone. It was hard for us to tell who took care of whom, as his daughter was very attentive trying to meet his needs in the recovery room by wiping his mouth and gently stroking him. Her father sells lottery tickets for a living and told us the only reason he lives is for his daughter. Although his burns were severe, our surgeons hoped that by releasing the burn contracture in his neck, he would have more rotation and flexibility.